Sunday, May 3, 2009

Wisconsin and Missouri School Visits

Just returned from a wonderful two weeks of school visits in Wisconsin and Missouri. I usually do presentations and just a few writing workshops, but this trip, I did lots of writing workshops with groups from K to 8. I had a wonderful time!

I always talk about ideas for stories and also how an idea isn't a story, but needs well-defined characters and a strong plot to become a story. In my thank you notes from some of the younger students, they shared some of their ideas for stories:

The pencil that talks. (I might steal this one. :-) )
What you need to know about dinosaurs.
Learn the Spanish alphabet.
Babies attack me and my family. (Intriguing...and scary!)
Healthy foods. (Love this girl.)
A silent world. (Could this child be craving silence in this noisy world?)
A cupcake land. (Yum.)
Aliens versus robots.
The attack of the giant tarantulas. (HELP!)
Robot monkeys in space. (Brilliant.)
Share/Bookmark

No comments: